What Does a Physiotherapist Do?
A physiotherapist works with patients to develop customized programs designed to restore as much as possible their functional ability and movement. They are trained to help patients at all stages of life — from infant to old age — whose function and movement are impacted by:
Physiotherapists achieve this by using a variety of methods including:
Have the patient do certain exercises
Use muscle stimulation devices
Teach certain lifestyle activities like walking, posture, etc.
https://vistaphysiotherapy.ca/acupuncture-calgary/ They take a holistic (whole-body) approach, addressing not only the physical aspects of your well-being, but also your emotional, psychological, and social well-being. They work at all stages of healthcare, including prevention, education, intervention, rehabilitation, and treatment.
The goal of a physiotherapist is to improve your quality of life.
Education and Training
In the United States, the path to being able to practice as a physiotherapist requires a lot of education and training. They must first earn a doctor of physical therapy (DPT) degree from a physical therapist education program that is accredited (approved) by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education.
From there, they must pass the state exam to become licensed.
Most DPT programs take approximately three years to complete. The curriculum may include courses in biology, physiology, anatomy and physiology, biomechanics, neuroscience, behavioral sciences, and more.
The bulk of the training (80%) is done in the classroom and lab, while the other 20% involves clinical education.
What Conditions Do Physiotherapists Treat?
A physiotherapist can treat a vast number of conditions and injuries. Some examples include:
Orthopedic: Back pain, carpal tunnel syndrome, arthritis, low back pain, foot conditions, sciatica, knee conditions, joint problems, etc.
Neurological:Alzheimer’s disease, multiple sclerosis, neuropathy (nerve damage), vertigo (feeling dizzy/off balanced), cerebral palsy, stroke, concussion, etc.
Autoimmune:Fibromyalgia, Raynaud’s syndrome, Rheumatoid arthritis
Chronic conditions:Asthma, diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure, etc.
They may work in a clinic, hospital, nursing home, or rehabilitation facility, or they may go to the patient’s home. They will often work with doctors, providing feedback regarding a patient’s progress and any issues they notice while working with them.
Leave a Reply